6.18.2009

Surgery day!

As you all are aware, I've been sick a lot lately - ear infections, chest infections, general snottiness, you name it. So, today we set out to fix the problem! I wasn't sure what was going on but I knew something was up when we got up super early and got in the car in our pajamas before eating breakfast even...
We got to the hospital which is right next to my pediatrician's office and where I love to see the ducks. No ducks here, but at least Daddy was with me.

Once inside, I was still my usual happy self,
and I took the opportunity to do some reading from their waiting room library.

Then we got called back to the kids' waiting room, where I saw some other boys and girls and some toys.
Mami and I colored a little. I was getting nervous, but still doing ok.
Then the doctor came and I got a little clingy.
He was very nice, and wanted to make sure Baby was ok,
but then he took me back to the operating room. I was very sad to leave Mami and Daddy and very scared. They were too.
Luckily, I then got some yummy medicine that put me to sleep and I had no idea what was going on. Mami and Daddy, on the other hand, were left awake and alert in the waiting room.
I had an adenoidectomy and a myringotomy, both of which will help prevent ear infections and all those colds. The doctor said my adenoids were blocking 70% of my nasal airways, so no wonder I was snoring and stuff. And if they were that big they must have been pretty darn infected and yucky. I had puss and fluid in both ears as well. Poor me!
Then Mami and Daddy were allowed to come back to the recovery room as I was waking up.
It was a bit rough, but I was glad they were there.
When we came home I had a snack of a banana and a couple of the graham crackers they gave me at the hospital. (There are no restrictions on what I can eat, it's not really in my throat where they did the surgery stuff. It does, however, make me cry every time I burp or hiccup...)

I'm well on my way to feeling better I think, and hopefully to a much healthier existence! Currently, I'm sleeping and have been for three hours - a little Tylenol with codeine goes a long way I guess!

2 comments:

Dr. L said...

What a trooper you are! I hope the recovery goes quickly and that you are back to your happy self in no time!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that's over and that it was so successful. Here's to a happy healthy Lela!